Healing the Stepfamily from the inside out.
Sometimes just hearing what someone else has to say helps so much! I encourage you to write down your own experiences and send them to us. It’s wonderful and healing when you come to realize that whatever you are going through, someone else is going through the same thing. It is my hope to make this site informative and helpful in your journey.
The StepFamily Center is dedicated to strengthening couples so they can successfully meet the challenges of the stepfamily experience!
Navigating stepfamily life can be difficult for everybody involved – the stepparents, the stepchildren, and the biological parents. We attempt to answer some commonly asked questions about everybody’s role in a stepfamily.
• Berman, Claire. Making It as a Stepparent: New Roles/ New Rules. Doubleday Perennial, N.Y. 1986.
• Bray, Dr. James H. and Kelly, John. StepFamilies: Love, Marriage and Parenting in the First Decade. Random House, N.Y. 1998.
• Leman, Dr. Kevin. Living in a Stepfamily without Getting Stepped On – Helping Your Children Survive the Birth Order Blender. Thomas Nelson Publishers, Tn. 1994.
• Mahoney, Margaret. Stepfamilies and the Law. University of Michigan Press, 1994.
• Martin, Wednesday. StepMonster: A New Look at Why Real Mothers Think, Feel and Act the Way We Do. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Co. 2009.
• Millan and Millan. The Second Wives Club.
• Neuman, M. Gary. Helping Your Kids Cope with Divorce the Sandcastles Way. G.K.N. Corp. 1998.
• Newman, Margaret. Stepfamily Realities. New Harbinger Publishing Co. 1994.
• Norwood, Perdita. The Enlightened Stepmother: Revolutionizing the Role. Avon Books. 1999.
• Papernow, Patricia L. Becoming a Stepfamily: Patterns of Development in Remarried Families. Jossey-Bass Inc., Publishers, San Francisco, CA. 1993.
• Smith, Donna. Stepmothering. St. Martins Press, Inc., N.Y. 1990.
• Visher, Emily and John. How to Win a Stepfamily. Brunner/Mazel. 1991, 2nd edition.
• Wisdom, Susan, LPC and Green, Jennifer. Stepcoupling: Creating and Sustaining a Strong Marriage in Today’s Blended Family. Three Rivers Press, a division of Random House, Inc. N.Y. 2002.
For Children 4-8:
• Ballard, Robin. When I am a Sister. Greenwillow Press.
• Cook, Jean Thor. Room for a Stepdaddy.
• Masurel, Claire. Two Homes. Candlewick Press. 2001.
For Children 8-11:
• Berman, Claire. What Am I Doing in a Stepfamily. Lyle Stuart, Inc. 1982.
• Heegaard, Marge. When a Parent Marries Again. Woodland Press. l993.
• Webber, Ruth. Split Ends. Australian Counsel for Educational Research. 1996.
• Visher, Emily and John. Therapy with Stepfamilies. Brunner/Mazel. 1996.
• Pasley, Kay and Ihinger-Tallman, Marilyn. Stepparenting: Issues in Theory, Research and Practice. Praeger Publishers. 1995.
• National Stepfamily Resource Center. Stepfamily Association of America.